Browse Items (216 total)

  • Collection: Champlain Islands History compiled by Allen L. Stratton

Sand-Bar Bridge

SandBarBridge1.jpg
Five photos of the Sand-Bar Bridge at various points in time. The fifth photo shows the Phelps House, where the last Toll Keeper Benajah Phelps resided. The Phelps House was moved to its present location in 1938 by George H. Phelps and renamed to the…

Parker's Bus

ParkersBus.jpg
Photo of the excessive snow fall and the real problem of trying to open up the road. The bus in the photo was owned and operated by Arthur C. Parker, who ran it from Grand Isle to Burlington from 1920-1951.

Gordon - Center House

GordonCenterHouse1.jpg
Two photos of a stone house taken in winter and in autumn.

Vantine Rooming-Boarding House

VantineRoomingBoardingHouse1.jpg
H. Seward Vantine's boarding house in Grand Isle, Vt.

Gordon House

GordonHouse1.jpg
House owned by Ira Gordon. Upon his death, ownership was transferred to his son, Solon.

Captain Daniel Wilcox Tavern - Home

WilcoxTavern1.jpg
Home of Captain Daniel Wilcox, an early Grand Isle settler who was an experienced boat-builder. He operated a tavern that provided lodging for travelers using the ferries on Lake Champlain.

Lyon-Hatch barn

LyonHatchBarn1.jpg
Two photos of the Lyon-Hatch barn, which is in a state of disrepair.

Lyon-Hatch outbuilding

LyonHatchOutbuilding.jpg
Front of the Lyon-Hatch shed.

Lyon-Hatch House

LyonHatchHouse1.jpg
Five photos of the Lyon-Hatch house from every side, with one closer shot of the side deck.

James Griswold House

JamesGriswoldHouse1.jpg
This house was built by farmer James Griswold, who moved to Grand Isle in 1801. After his death in 1857, ownership of the house passed to his son, Fitch Reed Griswold. As of 1967, the house is owned by Willis P. Gordon, and the farm is operated by…

Alexander S. Pearl House

AlexanderSPearlHouse1.jpg
This house was owned by Phineas S. Mitchell in 1857, but Stratton's research indicates that the house is older than that. Sometime before 1871, Alexander S. Pearl purchased the house, which was then owned by his son Warren S. Pearl and then Warren's…

Dr. Simeon Clark House

DrSimeonClarkHouse.jpg
The left half of this house was what was originally built by Dr. Simeon Clark around 1800. The rest was built by its current owner (as of 1981), Kirk S. Wilcox.