Browse Items (392 total)

  • Collection: Historic Photos from Vermont Towns

Fig. 1. View of Montpelier, 1821

1.jpg
Woodcut based on the Sarah I. Watrous view of Montpelier, 1821. The Winooski River, with its bridge and dam, are in the foreground.

Marshfield Common, c. 1900

P-Cap-#001.jpg
Marshfield Village Common, looking east on Main Street with bandstand in foreground. The E.W. Gilman store (originally the Wooster store) is on the right. A covered bridge is in the distance to the left of the bandstand. There are no leaves on the…

Montpelier as Seen from Berlin Street Hill

GC-1567_MontpelierFromBerlinStreet_56.jpg
View of Montpelier as seen from Berlin Street, perhaps at the intersection of Phelps Street. The Winooski River can be seen below and the Vermont State House is in the distance. 184 Berlin Street can be seen at the right and 169 Berlin Street is on…

Calder & Richardson Store Interior with Oil Burner Exhibit

BHC503-p6-8_InteriorStore.jpg
Photograph shows interior of Calder & Richardson store at Depot Square. The photograph shows an exhibit of oil burner machinery along with the coal price list.

Fig. 2. Red Arch Bridge, c. 1899

2.jpg
Red Arch Bridge from Berlin side of the Winooski River, c. 1899. Built in 1825, torn down in 1899. Montpelier Manufacturing Building is on the left

The Cabot Road

P-Cap-007.jpg
Main Street and the Cabot Road looking towards Cabot. Jaquith Library is first building on left. The Ira Bemis house is to the right of the library. L. Knowles of Cabot is driving the Cabot Stage, with his horses kicking up dust on the unpaved road.…

Bicycle and Granite Sheds

GC-1570_BicycleBerlinStOverlookingGrantieShed_59.jpg
A bicycle rests in a ditch along Berlin Street, Montpelier, Vermont. Across the Winooski River is a granite shed and on top of the hill is Vermont Methodist Seminary.

Calder & Richardson Store Interior with Coal Price Lists and Samples

BHC503-p6-7_InteriorStore.jpg
Photograph shows interior of Calder & Richardson store at Depot Square. The coal price list is shown, as well as firewood and samples of coal types.

Fig. 3. Wainwright foundry, c. 1868

3.jpg
Alfred Wainwright's foundry on the North Branch as seen from Elm Street looking northeast, c. 1868. The buildings erected by Wainwright in 1832 were purchased in 1863 by Dennis Lane who, in partnership with P. P. Pitkin and James W. Brock,…

Village Schoolhouse, circa 1898

P-Cap-#028.jpg
This Marshfield schoolhouse replaced the "Old Brown Schoolhouse" which had stood on this site since 1852. Originally built as a one-story in 1890, the ell was added later and the roof raised to add a second story. Students are socializing in the yard…