Browse Items (33 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Marshfield (Vt.)--Photographs"

Marshfield Common, c. 1900

P-Cap-#001.jpg
Marshfield Village Common, looking east on Main Street with bandstand in foreground. The E.W. Gilman store (originally the Wooster store) is on the right. A covered bridge is in the distance to the left of the bandstand. There are no leaves on the…

Looking up Main Street

P-Cap-#004.jpg
Main street, Marshfield, looking east. McCrillis store is visible at left and beyond the store are the barn and house of Homer Carpenter. The unpaved street is lined with electric poles.

The Cabot Road

P-Cap-007.jpg
Main Street and the Cabot Road looking towards Cabot. Jaquith Library is first building on left. The Ira Bemis house is to the right of the library. L. Knowles of Cabot is driving the Cabot Stage, with his horses kicking up dust on the unpaved road.…

Marshfield Cornet Band

G-Cap-036.jpg
The Marshfield Cornet Band was organized in 1882 and performed at social events in Marshfield and surrounding communities. In 1931 the band celebrated the 50th anniversary of their organization at the Knights of Pythias Hall in Marshfield village.…

Village Schoolhouse, circa 1898

P-Cap-#028.jpg
This Marshfield schoolhouse replaced the "Old Brown Schoolhouse" which had stood on this site since 1852. Originally built as a one-story in 1890, the ell was added later and the roof raised to add a second story. Students are socializing in the yard…

Wooster Store, Now Marshfield Village Store

2020_B_03_GFWoosterStore.jpg
The store has been in business since it was constructed in 1864 by George and Frank Wooster, who were business partners for 63 years.

In 1891 they sold it to Elbridge Gilman who operated it as a general merchandise store for about 15 years, then…

Butterbox Shop

2020_B_01_butterboxshop.jpg
At the corner of School Street (Depot Road) and Gilman Road was the Butterbox Shop, where cooper Eli Edson made butterboxes and other items. In 1895 he sold the shop to Eldred Pitkin and Mark Mears. Mears eventually sold his share to James Bouldry…

Laying Track to Burnham Hill

2020_L_HWRailrdCrane.jpg
A steam engine pulls a flat car during construction of the Hardwick & Woodbury Railroad. The flat car carries the crew and a track-laying crane called a rail header. Also on board are standard guage rails and kegs of railroad spikes.

Goslant Sawmill

2020_L_14_GoslantSawmill.jpg
Goslant Sawmill in Lanesboro is on the right in the foreground. The train tracks of the Montpelier and Wells River Railroad run towards the east and Lansboro Station is in the distance. At the horizon see Owl's Head on left and Spice Mt. on right.

Marshfield Depot, Circa 1875

2020_L_16_marshfieldstation.jpg
Looking from the west on the Montpelier & Wells River Railroad is the Marshfield Depot showing the first buildings contstructed on the site. A steam boiler is loaded onto the flat car on the left-hand track. A grain tower sits beside the track on the…

Marshfield Common, c. 1890

2020_L_21_common_no_bandstand.jpg
Marshfield Village Common, looking east up the Danville Road (note the covered bridge in the distance). The road is unpaved and the bandstand that was the focal point in later photos of the Common has not yet been built. The EW Gilman store, formerly…

The Marshfield House

2020_L_22_MarshfieldHouse.jpg
Wallace and Alice (Peck) Lambert pose on the porch of The Marshfield House, c 1905. The building was built in 1864 and the Lamberts purchased it in 1896, running it as a hotel to house traveling salesmen known as "drummers". There is a hammock strung…