Browse Items (33 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Marshfield (Vt.)--Photographs"

Swimming at Baily Mill Pond

Four men are swimming at Baily Mill Pond in front of the sawmill structures. A jacket hangs from a pole while shoes and clothes are piled on the mill ramp. Logs are stacked on the ground in the distance.

Tagging Beaver Pelts

Vermont Game Warden Charles Collett inspects and tags beaver pelts presented by Ralph Evans. Warden Collett is sitting on a Cott's Quality Beverage Crate in the office of Philip White's general store. Evans is wearing his Johnson Woolens plaid coat…

Beaver Day in March, 1951

Ralph Evans (at far right) looks on as Anthony Pratico, a fur trader from Rutland, inspects Evans' beaver pelts. Talking with Mr. Evans is old-time fur trader Charlie Silver of Montpelier. The photo was part of an article about the beaver pelt trade…

Goslant Sawmill

Goslant Sawmill in Lanesboro is on the right in the foreground. The train tracks of the Montpelier and Wells River Railroad run towards the east and Lansboro Station is in the distance. At the horizon see Owl's Head on left and Spice Mt. on right.

Marshfield Depot, Circa 1875

Looking from the west on the Montpelier & Wells River Railroad is the Marshfield Depot showing the first buildings contstructed on the site. A steam boiler is loaded onto the flat car on the left-hand track. A grain tower sits beside the track on the…

Marshfield Common, c. 1900

Marshfield Village Common, looking east on Main Street with bandstand in foreground. The E.W. Gilman store (originally the Wooster store) is on the right. A covered bridge is in the distance to the left of the bandstand. There are no leaves on the…

Looking up Main Street

Main street, Marshfield, looking east. McCrillis store is visible at left and beyond the store are the barn and house of Homer Carpenter. The unpaved street is lined with electric poles.

The Cabot Road

Main Street and the Cabot Road looking towards Cabot. Jaquith Library is first building on left. The Ira Bemis house is to the right of the library. L. Knowles of Cabot is driving the Cabot Stage, with his horses kicking up dust on the unpaved road.…

Marshfield Cornet Band

The Marshfield Cornet Band was organized in 1882 and performed at social events in Marshfield and surrounding communities. In 1931 the band celebrated the 50th anniversary of their organization at the Knights of Pythias Hall in Marshfield village.…

Village Schoolhouse, circa 1898

This Marshfield schoolhouse replaced the "Old Brown Schoolhouse" which had stood on this site since 1852. Originally built as a one-story in 1890, the ell was added later and the roof raised to add a second story. Students are socializing in the yard…

Wooster Store, Now Marshfield Village Store

The store has been in business since it was constructed in 1864 by George and Frank Wooster, who were business partners for 63 years.

In 1891 they sold it to Elbridge Gilman who operated it as a general merchandise store for about 15 years, then…

Butterbox Shop

At the corner of School Street (Depot Road) and Gilman Road was the Butterbox Shop, where cooper Eli Edson made butterboxes and other items. In 1895 he sold the shop to Eldred Pitkin and Mark Mears. Mears eventually sold his share to James Bouldry…