Browse Items (33 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Marshfield (Vt.)--Photographs"

Marshfield Orchestra, 1898-1899

From left: Artur Blake, Albert Lamberton, Ellis Preston, Ira Edson, Alvi Davis.

Marshfield Universalist Church

Steeplejacks work on the steeple while a few spectators gather by the trees to watch. There is a lightening rod at the peak. A pile of disgarded lumber rests to the left of the church in the grass.

The New Congregational Church

After their original church burned in 1905, the congregation re-built. The new church had a stained glass window in the front. The old bell, which survived the fire, hangs in the new belfry. To the left of the church is the John & Jane Severance…

Traveling Photographer in Marshfield Village

A traveling photographer is parked near the intersection of Main St. and Creamery St. His wagon and work tent bear signage stating "Views of residence & family groups" and "Photographs and Tintypes". A sample landscape hangs on the side of the…

Marshfield Co-operative Creamery

Farmers arrive at the creamery with cream and milk. The storage barn on the left behind the creamery is filled with wood for stoking the production equipment. Steam escapes from the vent pipes at the side of the building. By 1941 the name of the…

Marshfield Village, Looking West

This nothwesterly view was taken from Folsom Hill and looks over the village towards Creamery St. Three church steeples rise above the other buildings in the left part of the photo. The village center is in the middle of the photo. The covered bridge…

Warren C. Mears Store

Located on Main St. opposite School Street. The store was formerly owned by George McCrillis. Standing in the road are Mark Mears, Sr., Richard Mears (the 4-year old son of W.C. Mears) and George Bliss. A boy and a man sit on two benches on the…

Beaver Day in March, 1951

Ralph Evans (at far right) looks on as Anthony Pratico, a fur trader from Rutland, inspects Evans' beaver pelts. Talking with Mr. Evans is old-time fur trader Charlie Silver of Montpelier. The photo was part of an article about the beaver pelt trade…

Tagging Beaver Pelts

Vermont Game Warden Charles Collett inspects and tags beaver pelts presented by Ralph Evans. Warden Collett is sitting on a Cott's Quality Beverage Crate in the office of Philip White's general store. Evans is wearing his Johnson Woolens plaid coat…

The Marshfield House

Wallace and Alice (Peck) Lambert pose on the porch of The Marshfield House, c 1905. The building was built in 1864 and the Lamberts purchased it in 1896, running it as a hotel to house traveling salesmen known as "drummers". There is a hammock strung…

Marshfield Common, c. 1890

Marshfield Village Common, looking east up the Danville Road (note the covered bridge in the distance). The road is unpaved and the bandstand that was the focal point in later photos of the Common has not yet been built. The EW Gilman store, formerly…

Marshfield Depot, Circa 1875

Looking from the west on the Montpelier & Wells River Railroad is the Marshfield Depot showing the first buildings contstructed on the site. A steam boiler is loaded onto the flat car on the left-hand track. A grain tower sits beside the track on the…