Browse Items (33 total)

  • Subject is exactly "Marshfield (Vt.)--Photographs"

Winter Logging

0042-Winter Logging.jpg
Three teams of work horses pull sleds loaded up with logs. A man stands atop each log pile as the horses haul the sleds across a snowy field. A small dog sits in the lower right, watching the action.

Good Templars, circa 1907

A group of men and women belonging to the lodge of Good Templars stand for their portrait on the steps of the Knights of Pylthias building. The Independent Order of Good Templars (IOGT) was a temperance society established in Marshfield in 1866. The…

Dwinell School Class Picture

The Dwinell (Bond) School was established in District 2 in 1870. This class photo was taken around 1901. Back row: Earl Dwinell, Hubert Croteau, Fred Page, Teacher, Viola (Buxton) Martin, Clyde Mears, Herman Pike, James Dwinell, Clarence Pike. Middle…

Swimming at Baily Mill Pond

Four men are swimming at Baily Mill Pond in front of the sawmill structures. A jacket hangs from a pole while shoes and clothes are piled on the mill ramp. Logs are stacked on the ground in the distance.

Edith Pulling George in a Wagon

Edith Gillette pulls a wagon with George McCrillis sitting in it. George wears a wide brimmed hat and is holding a white and gray cat. Edith wears a high-collared, long-sleeved dress with a sash around her waist. They are in front of his father's…

Ira Ormsbee at Dwinell Cemetery

Mr. Ira Ormsbee sports a jaunty cap, colorful tie and suspenders while standing with a reel mower. His dog lies beside him in front of a large graveyard monument.

150th Anniversary Celebration of Marshfield

Residents celebrate the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Marshfield. They are in the hall of the Knights of Pythias, 1942. Standing in front of the stage and a choir are Alvi T. Davis, Lillian Davis, Ella Lilley, Lou Carpenter and Maude Davis.…

New Knights of Pythias Hall

This KOP Hall replaced the original building after a fire in 1909. Sporting a more modern flat roof, the actual layout replicated the first building. The power pole remains the same as do the 4 steps up from the sidewalk.

Knights of Pythias Hall

This three story structure housed the meeting room for the Knights of Pythias. The top floor was used for dances, band practice and other town functions. Look closely and you can see signage at the main door for the post office entrance. An office…

Marshfield Knights of Pythias at Camp Ewin

0010_Knights of Pythias_Camp1909.jpg
Eighteen members of the Marshfield order of Knights of Pythias attend Camp Ewins in Barre, VT. Canvas tents flank the standing men. Eldred Pitkin and Arch Cole are seated in front.

Adams Store, 1905

The Adams Store pictured is smaller than the original building which was destroyed by fire. The third floor was a large function hall while the Adams live on the second floor. Note the Fairbanks Scale sign at the front corner of the store. A woman…

Marshfield Methodist Church

The Methodist congregation voted to build this church in 1878 after the original Methodist church in the village burned. It is identified as the M. E. Church on the 1870 village map. Direct sunlight of a summer day accentuates the decorative shingles…